Being in the flow + getting in the zone…what are the keys to making it happen + how do you get there?
The term being in the flow was first coined by Hungarian psychologist, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, in the 80s. He used it to describe that state that artists go into when they completely lose themselves in their work.
In an interview, here’s how he described it, “The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you’re using your skills to the utmost.”
When it comes to doing your best work, who doesn’t want that?
Research has shown that there are three things that line up for people when they describe being in the flow in their own lives.
Here are the 3 keys to being in the flow + getting in the zone…
- Your whole being is involved, meaning you are fully engaged + present.
- You enjoy what you’re doing, even if it’s challenging, it’s something that makes you come alive.
- You’re confident in who you are.
So now that you’ve got these three keys, you’re probably wondering, how do I make that happen for me?
Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
Here are a few quick questions you can ask yourself to tap into the flow state + get into the zone…
- First, take a look at how you’ve been interacting with life over the past week – your family, your friends, your work, your tribe, your team, your self…
- And now, ask yourself, how would you show up differently in those situations if you were showing up as your best self?
- What would be different?
- How do you feel?
- How do you carry yourself?
- What’s the impact you’re making on others?
- That vision is you in your flow state. That’s what it looks like + that’s what it feels like…
- So now the next question to ask yourself is, what’s the one skill or strength you need to tap into or develop, in order to show up as your best self?
And now you know the one thing you need to focus on to help you get into the zone even more. (Need help turning it into a habit? Get the 5 Steps to Making Smart Habits Stick here.)
It won’t always be easy, but if you’re reading this it means you’re the kind of person who excels at life + cares about making an impact.
It means, to me, you’re the cream of the crop.
Remind yourself why it’s important for you to show up with excellence + as your best self in your work.
Your greatness begins the moment you let go of comfort + embrace your growth.
Because that’s what leaders do.
Now go out there + make your mark on the world.